Monday, October 5, 2009

Painted fabric for a Journalfest Journal

Time to make a new journal for journalfest. So, I began by painting a piece of fabric. I love to see the process of layering paint and I take a bunch of photos. First I made a stamp out of fun foam, I cut out a flower shape and used tacky glue to adhere it to another piece of foam. I trimmed around that and then glued it to a scrap piece of card board.
This is what the original piece of fabric looked like before I began painting it. It was just a random cotton scrap.

I painted on some thinned gesso. After that was dry, I used my stamp with magenta paint. I use cosmetic sponges to apply the paint to the stamp.

I used a thick paint brush and added some more magenta with white paint in a random way. I blow dry between each layer so I don't have to wait to paint.

Next I stenciled circles with orange and white paint.
More stenciling with blue then black paint.

I added some white lines with a sharpie paint pen. Hopefully I will get the journal done in the next week or so.






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great pictures of your process - it was fascinating to see each layer. Loved that scissor stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I can't wait to see what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so fun! I'm in your Saturday class at Journalfest and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete